Ss Lane Victory

SS Lane Victory is a Second World War Victory ship which is preserved as a museum ship in the San Pedro area of Los Angeles, California. As a rare surviving Victory ship, it is a U.S. National Historic Landmark.

She was named after Lane College, which was established as a high school for black youths in 1882 by Isaac Lane, a bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Jackson, Tennessee. The school grew into a prominent liberal arts college.

The Lane Victory was built by the California Shipbuilding Corporation in Los Angeles, California and launched on 31 May 1945. On her first voyage, 27 June 1945, Lane Victory carried supplies in the Pacific. She was operated by the American President Lines.

In 1950 the Lane Victory was used to evacuate Korean civilians and U.N. personnel at Wonsan, North Korea during the Korean War. The ship also saw duty during the Vietnam War. In 1970, she was placed in the reserve fleet. Because of her excellent condition, the Maritime Administration decided to set aside the Lane Victory for preservation.

250px-Vincent_Thomas_Bridge.jpg

Museum Ship

In 1988, the Lane Victory was acquired by the U.S. Merchant Marine Veterans of World War II and turned into a museum at the Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro, California. In 1990, the Lane Victory was designated a National Historic Landmark.

The Lane Victory is an operational vessel and currently makes six one-day cruises over 3 weekends to Catalina Island each year.

Usage in Hollywood

The ship's wakes were used in the 1997 blockbuster movie Titanic for the ocean liner's wakes.

In 1999 the ship was used in a Ford Super Duty commercial.

The engine housed in the Lane Victory's cargo hold was used as the engine for the USS San Pablo in The Sand Pebbles (film).

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License